Emergency Eye Care
Eye emergencies are different from other medical emergencies, and we are not available 24/7. If you are experiencing a serious emergency that requires immediate attention, please go to the nearest emergency room.
While many people instinctively head to the emergency room if they have a sudden, urgent problem which is affecting their eyes and vision, many conditions can be treated by an optometrist. If you have an eye infection, get something stuck in your eye, or are experiencing sudden changes to your vision, Dr. Ellen Merkin is here to help.
Is It an Eye Emergency?
If you are experiencing sudden changes to your vision or severe eye pain, then you most likely need emergency eye care.
Symptoms of an ocular emergency can include the following:
- Foreign objects in the eye, such as small fragments of metal or glass
- Cuts, scratches, or punctures in the eye
- Eye infections
- Exposure to chemicals causing eye pain or vision impairment
- Sudden loss of vision or changes in vision
- Sudden onset of floaters or flashes of light
Call our Las Vegas office at 702-213-6905 to discuss your eye emergency and, if appropriate, set up an emergency eye exam with our highly trained emergency optometrist.
Steps to Take During an Eye Emergency
To avoid making your urgent eye issue worse, take the following steps when dealing with an eye emergency:
- If your eyes have been exposed to chemicals, flush them with water for 15 minutes and don’t cover the affected eye.
- Avoid rubbing your eyes if you have something in them. This will prevent further damage to your eyes and reduce the spread of any germs, bacteria, or infections.
- If you have experienced an injury to the area around your eye, gently apply a cold compress to prevent swelling.
- Avoid driving if you are experiencing an eye emergency or problems with your vision.
Once you have seen an eye doctor for your issue, follow their guidance closely and remain consistent with any home remedies or care plans provided, such as eye drops or compresses.
Treatment for eye emergencies can vary depending on the situation, but most issues resolve swiftly with proper care from a qualified eye care professional.
Call our Las Vegas office at 702-213-6905 to discuss your eye emergency and, if appropriate, set up an emergency eye exam with our highly trained optometrist.